Ten minutes. That’s all it takes to start your day with a clear vision of what you’d like to accomplish, and a plan to get it done. But it’s not always as easy as that.
Anyone who’s attempted to start a new daily routine knows that old habits are hard to break. Furthermore, it seems like even a small diversion from the routine, such as a vacation or similar change in schedule, can completely derail our regular daily rituals. But starting the day with a mindfulness of intentions can change your life.
But first the “why”. Why is there so much written about starting out the day “on the right foot”? Because it works! There’s an overwhelming amount of evidence that morning meditation brings less stress, more energy, self-confidence, and a greater feeling of accomplishment. In part because it lets you take time to focus on what’s important to you, and recognize your successes. This new daily habit is the key to working through your list of intended accomplishments described in my last post! This is the way to keep yourself motivated, and on track, throughout the year.
Here a some steps to begin focusing on your day.
- It’s important to start your day with this process. Set your alarm 10 minutes earlier. Come on. You can do this!
- Find a quiet place away from distractions where you can sit comfortably.
- Start with mentally going through the accomplishments of your prior day. Give yourself credit for a job well-done. Likewise, give thought to how to get past any set-backs which may have occurred.
- Think about the tasks for the day at-hand, and how they will help you achieve your goals.
- Record your thoughts for review during the day. It really helps keep the motivation going.
- That’s it! Just a little time for yourself to reflect on what’s important to you.
In several past articles, I’ve written about developing and using checklists and journals to create and review a game-plan for life. I’ve also written about creating new habits to help review and maintain goals. Last January, I recommended downloading a free copy of the Today’s Expectation journaling worksheet described in the article https://www.stepsfortoday.com/home-organization/check-that/ to help keep track of intentions and accomplishments. It’s available at this sites store at https://www.stepsfortoday.com/product/todays-expectations-worksheet/. It is not secret that I truly believe that these habits are key to creating the home and lifestyle you desire.
Sometimes, however, we just don’t know where to begin. And we surely don’t know what steps we may be missing in our quest to gain control over the chaos of daily life . Our soon to be released book gives readers a plan to follow. It walks through a series of steps with recommendations and explanations for organizing your home and life.
Thanks again for reading.
And remember to take the next step…